Skip to main content

WHERE THE FUN'S AT


This is fascinating. I mentioned earlier an instance of Jung's synchronicity in my own life. That is, I was witness to a meaningful coincidence, or two related events happening simultaneously without any causal connection. I had been watching a baseball game and as a batter hit the ball I said inwardly "he smoked it" only to hear a second later the announcer use the very same descriptive verb. Having heard my father use the term synchronicity to describe such a phenomenon I researched the term and found that it was Carl Jung who coined the word in the early twentieth century and years later elaborated upon the subject in a treatise of the same name. 

Then, whilst taking a shower yesterday, I found myself thinking about a certain girl, and about our astrological chart comparison. And from there to wondering whether horoscope compatibility had ever been formally studied by those less partial than myself. Astrology had been a cherished pursuit of my mother's ever since as a teenager her cousin introduced her to the monthly horoscope. Years later my mother studied under a professional astrologer, supplementing her lessons with books she purchased on her own. By the time she married my father, he was fully convinced of the validity of astrology as a determiner/indicator of personality and its utility in guiding interpersonal relationships. My mother made certain that I too was a convert, and by the age of twenty I knew the placement, both in signs and in houses, of all the planets in my horoscope. 

I have since had an on-again, off-again relationship with the ancient science-slash-pseudoscience. At times I live or die by the compatibility interpretations I still generate between myself and romantic prospects, while at other times I dismiss astrology as a hoax and allow the relationship to take its own course. But I cannot deny that those aspects which astrology maintains are frequently found in the chart comparisons of marriage partners - such as the sun/moon conjunct, the moon/moon conjunct, and the moon/ascendant conjunct - have, whenever present in my own romantic history, exerted a stabilizing and satisfying effect. Aside from testimonies from astrologers and my own personal experience, what, if anything, did the research say?

And so I look it up. What turns up first in my search record is Jung's Synchronicity, in which the author himself conducts the experiment I had in mind. His researches indicate that in the charts of committed couples the aforementioned aspects occur about twice as frequently as in randomly paired strangers. In other words twice as frequently as you would expect if the occurrence were attributable to chance alone. And my being referred to Jung's Synchronicity is in itself another instance of synchronicity, if only tangentially. The sequence of related events is as follows: my uttering the word "smoked it" at the same time as the announcer, which led me to a topic in Jung's book, then my thinking of astrology, which led me to a different and seemingly unrelated topic treated in the same book! Excuse the exclamation, but I don't often get this excited. 

As a result of this curious coincidence I have purchased the book, which I am about halfway through. I also have renewed faith in astrology as a serious science. Where will all this lead me? To a career as an astrologer? Wouldn't that make my mother proud! To a search for a mate whose moon is in Aquarius (my sun) or Cancer (my moon) or Sagittarius (my rising)? Or merely to the assurance that everything in this world is related, the Universe is indeed the body of God, and as Jung says, quoting Paracelsus, "the philosopher does not find anything in heaven and earth which he does not also find in man." In other words, know yourself and you know everything. Which is me quoting Socrates. And also my definition of perfection.

How to know yourself? If you listen to Sai Baba speak, self-knowledge starts where vice leaves off. Listening to this modern philosopher caution against the use of alcohol, tobacco and meat, and repeatedly cut off the interpreter, is a worthy source of ten minutes' amusement. What an adorable little man he is! Sai says alcohol makes you silly and self-forgetful, tobacco robs you of your health and meat increases animal tendencies. 

Fine, but if you take Sai Baba to be God incarnate as his devotees believe, this prohibition seems odd. Here God is, having created these substances as well as the humans who so copiously indulge in them, vehemently urging humans to do the very opposite. Why not just banish whisky and weed from existence or not create them in the first place, or not permit the urge for them to take root in the human breast? But really, since these substances exist, and all that God created is good, what's wrong with getting a little high once in a while? Yes, it builds character and is an exercise in willpower to avoid these treacherous vices, if that's what they are. And refusing to self-medicate leads to perfection of the human being. 

For as one author writes, "No [spiritual aspirant] must have ... one affection or desire that chains him to the world. He must be pure from the love of woman, free from avarice and ambition, free from the dreams even of art, or the hope of earthly fame." For: "if happiness exist, it must be centered in a self to which all passion is unknown."

Okay, maybe I answered my own question. And so much for those chart comparisons. With significant aspects present only 10 percent of the time in compatibility reports, good riddance! But clearly the decision whether or not to partake of life's many sensuous enjoyments depends upon your perspective. Just as you could look at my tendency to spend almost all my time at home alone, divorced from the world and interaction with others, as an instance of living life to the fullest or merely as a form of cowardly escapism. But when you don't drink, smoke or eat meat as Sai advises and everyone else fails to abide, you find reliable company hard to come by. Not that I mind. Of note, the Moon/Mars opposition, which is also frequently found in amorous affiliations, is present in my own horoscope. In other words I turn myself on, which I've known since that time in my parents' friends' Jacuzzi when I was ten years old.

My idea of perfection, in addition to knowing myself, is to stop clearing my throat and compulsively floss my teeth. And I have an idea how to achieve both by doing neither. Although like you with your meat and your martinis, I have no interest in giving up coffee or visiting the dentist. The space between knowing what you should do and actually doing it is as large as the distance between the philosopher's heaven and earth. And it's where all the fun's at too, I suppose.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUL CYCLE

This is not a commentary on the latest fitness fad. Because if it were, the little I'd have to say on the subject would be largely derogatory. I simply cannot see see how crouching in a stuffy, dark, cramped room surrounded by sweat-drenched strangers while expending a lot of energy and going nowhere deserves to be called fun, though aficionados tell me it is (fun). I tell these aficionados that if no pain no gain is your thing, discomfort can be had for a lot cheaper than $50 an hour. Try plucking your nose hairs. What we don't do for the sake of beauty. This endurance heir to the Stairmaster and elliptical is all hype. There's a name for the type who likes to run (or otherwise move) in place. It's called a hamster. 

This reminds me of a joke my father likes to tell, about what living with a woman turns a guy into. You go from a wolf to a sheep to a hamster. After nearly 40 years of married life, my dad has added cockroach to the zoological lineage. Which I'm sure …

EVERYTHING'S INTENTIONAL

There is no such thing as screw-ups.

Case in point. My excellent friend Deej comes over to help me beautify the garden. He immediately dives in, crouching down on his knees and weed whacking with his bare hands. Before I can say yay or nay, he proceeds to remove a huge clump of daisy greens from the oblong patch of Earth adjacent to the driveway. The area instantly looks bare. Like the back of Woody Allen's head. Smoothing out the soil and shaking his head Deej mutters to himself "I fucked it up!" over and over again. We try everything. Planting succulents in the daisy's place. Covering it with rocks. But still the area looks barren. And every time you water it the water trickles down onto the sidewalk in the absence of roots to hold it in place. It's getting dark so we go back inside. The next day I return to the spot with a clear perspective and remove all the other daisies, leaving only rose bushes and the succulents that DJ planted, and depositing 10 bags of m…

GRAY MATTERS

I was watching the TV show Naked and Afraid last night as I sometimes do. The show teams together two strangers, a man and a woman, who attempt to survive on their own for a period of 21 days in some remote and isolated region. Some of the locales featured include the Australian Outback, the Amazonian rainforest and the African Savanna. The man may have a military background, or be an adventurist or deep sea fisherman. Sometimes he's an ordinary dude who lives with mom. The woman is a park ranger or extreme fitness enthusiast or "just a mom" herself. Sometimes the couple quarrel, sometimes one or both "tap out" (quit) in a fit of anger or illness. It is satisfying to see them actually make it through the challenge and reach their extraction point. The victors are usually exhausted, emaciated, begrimed and bare ass naked. 

Even more satisfying, at least for me, is the occasional ass shot, snuck in at strategic intervals to boost viewership, of course. It's co…