Skip to main content

LIFE'S LITTLE MIRACLES


Watching an Angels' game, which I sometimes do on Sundays, I saw center fielder Mike Trout of the Angels stroke a liner to center. If you don't know what the phrase "stroke a liner to center" means, obviously you're not a golfer, or else you need to brush up on your parlance. I suggest you watch more games. Sure, baseball is a slow game, and not a lot happens, but it's a great excuse to snack on high-calorie food, and in between balls and foul balls you have ample opportunity to think. Which I suppose is why they call baseball the thinking man's game. Or not. 

So Trout got a base hit to center field. The ball cracks off the bat, and he is not halfway to first base when I say inwardly, "Dude smoked it." An instant later the announcer said the same thing. "Trout smoked it to center." 

Now you might think it's not a big deal that the announcer and I used the same descriptive verb to call that line drive up the middle. Perhaps you think announcers have a rather limited repertoire of verbs to use for narrating base hits. But it's not that limited. He (Victor Rojas) could have used a dozen other verbs, many of them more common than "smoke." He could have said banged it. He could have said roped it. Or smashed it. Crushed it. Hit it. Drove it. Lined it. Spanked it. Stroked it. Walloped it. Whacked it. Pounded it. Bludgeoned it. Tomahawked it, is sometimes used. Or simply, "there's a base hit to center." Actually, I have never heard an announcer use the verb "smoke" before in a ball game. Rojas was a first for me.

What, if anything, does this mean? No doubt it's an instance of synchronicity. I learned the term as a young boy while watching TV with my family. We were talking during the commercials and someone said something and the next moment the same word was repeated by a character on TV. My dad held up his hand as if to command silence and with a somber look and a knowing nod said, "Synchronicity." His three sons, all under age 10, wanted to know what such a complicated word meant. "It means," said my dad, "that we're in the right place at the right time." Obviously. Sunday morning in my parents' bedroom was always exactly where I wanted to be.

Synchronicity has a storied history. The phrase was coined by Swiss psychologist Carl Jung, whose name comes up frequently in these writings, probably because his proclivities were so diverse. He used the term to describe "meaningful coincidences." That is, temporarily coincident occurrences of acausal events. Synchronicity is when two similar things happen at or around the same time without one causing the other. Like me and Rojas uttering the same verb at the same time. Jung used synchronicity, or "falling together in time" as evidence of the collective unconscious. Rojas and I tapped into the same primordial well of verbs and came out with the same one. He didn't cause me to think it, and I didn't cause the verb to come to his mind. Though separated by many miles in space, we were connected. All of us are connected.

I am always on the lookout for instances like these, of magic in daily life. My life is so humdrum, so extraordinarily ordinary, that I am hyper-sensitized to the slightest variation in the regular rhythm and routine. With your hectic life, many friends and plans and deadlines, you would likely not even give a second thought to the synchronous occurrence had it happened in your own head. But if like me you live amid a self-imposed pseudo-sensory deprivation, then TV viewing is a big deal, since it happens so rarely. Cloister yourself within your own four walls for long enough and you will find, as do I, that what Rudolf Steiner once wrote is true: "In my own world of thought and feeling the deepest mysteries lie hidden, only hitherto I have been unable to perceive them."And you actually laugh out loud at commercials. They are getting cleverer at selling stuff by the day.

Synchronicity was also the name of a music album by the Police that came out in 1983. The name was inspired by the writings of Arthur Koestler on coincidence. That's a bit of trivia, and also a fantastic album. But really it's magic that reveals itself before our very eyes and ears, provided we slow down enough to perceive it. And baseball is suitable, because it's so slow. And provided we quiet the mind and be present in the moment. This little miracle I witnessed will not make money or even impress my friends at parties, and not only because I have few friends and almost never go to parties. But it made my night. 

We have been conditioned to associate divine forces and miraculous occurrences with some otherworldly power, something that hits us over the head and says, "Look how awesome I am." Even Socrates, arguably one of the wisest individuals ever to grace the pages of recorded history, was guilty of this "impress me" bias. In Plato's dialogue Parmenides, Socrates is discussing the idea of the good, which is perfection itself, and which might be called God by the religious-minded. He says that there can be an idea, a form, a quintessence of the good, but not of such things as hair and mud and dirt. But Parmenides advises Socrates "not to despise even the meanest things." 

You too must bring an impartial temper to daily life. If you do you will see the good lying hidden in even the most ordinary events. If you don't believe me, watch more baseball, or Xanadu, the story of a girl who makes dreams come true. And you'll find that Ms. John is one of life's little miracles, and my idea of physical perfection.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRAY MATTERS

I was watching the TV show Naked and Afraid last night as I sometimes do. The show teams together two strangers, a man and a woman, who attempt to survive on their own for a period of 21 days in some remote and isolated region. Some of the locales featured include the Australian Outback, the Amazonian rainforest and the African Savanna. The man may have a military background, or be an adventurist or deep sea fisherman. Sometimes he's an ordinary dude who lives with mom. The woman is a park ranger or extreme fitness enthusiast or "just a mom" herself. Sometimes the couple quarrel, sometimes one or both "tap out" (quit) in a fit of anger or illness. It is satisfying to see them actually make it through the challenge and reach their extraction point. The victors are usually exhausted, emaciated, begrimed and bare ass naked. 

Even more satisfying, at least for me, is the occasional ass shot, snuck in at strategic intervals to boost viewership, of course. It's co…

EVERYTHING'S INTENTIONAL

There is no such thing as screw-ups.

Case in point. My excellent friend Deej comes over to help me beautify the garden. He immediately dives in, crouching down on his knees and weed whacking with his bare hands. Before I can say yay or nay, he proceeds to remove a huge clump of daisy greens from the oblong patch of Earth adjacent to the driveway. The area instantly looks bare. Like the back of Woody Allen's head. Smoothing out the soil and shaking his head Deej mutters to himself "I fucked it up!" over and over again. We try everything. Planting succulents in the daisy's place. Covering it with rocks. But still the area looks barren. And every time you water it the water trickles down onto the sidewalk in the absence of roots to hold it in place. It's getting dark so we go back inside. The next day I return to the spot with a clear perspective and remove all the other daisies, leaving only rose bushes and the succulents that DJ planted, and depositing 10 bags of m…

SOUL CYCLE

This is not a commentary on the latest fitness fad. Because if it were, the little I'd have to say on the subject would be largely derogatory. I simply cannot see see how crouching in a stuffy, dark, cramped room surrounded by sweat-drenched strangers while expending a lot of energy and going nowhere deserves to be called fun, though aficionados tell me it is (fun). I tell these aficionados that if no pain no gain is your thing, discomfort can be had for a lot cheaper than $50 an hour. Try plucking your nose hairs. What we don't do for the sake of beauty. This endurance heir to the Stairmaster and elliptical is all hype. There's a name for the type who likes to run (or otherwise move) in place. It's called a hamster. 

This reminds me of a joke my father likes to tell, about what living with a woman turns a guy into. You go from a wolf to a sheep to a hamster. After nearly 40 years of married life, my dad has added cockroach to the zoological lineage. Which I'm sure …