Skip to main content

FROM TIME TO TIME


What is the aim of life? What does it mean to live fully? Rudolf Steiner writes: "The student must, from time to time, glance introspectively into himself, sink back into himself, take counsel with himself, form and test the fundamental principles of his life, run over in his thoughts the sum total of his knowledge, weigh his duties, and reflect upon the content and aim of life."

Bertrand Russell weighs in: "In regard to every form of human activity it is necessary that the question should be asked from time to time, 'What is its purpose and ideal? In what way does it contribute to the beauty of human existence?'"


In both of the above quotes we find the expression "from time to time." We must ask ourselves how often this should be. Twice a year? Once a decade? Thrice in a lifetime? 


I nominate every day. Nay, several times each day. Moment to moment.


You are already doing everything for a reason. The unconscious mind, which is largely hidden from awareness, governs most of your actions. Even mistakes are intentional! But part of the inner voyage is to find out the reason for your every thought, word and action, to bring your motives out from the depths of the unconscious to the surface of your mind. This is how you expand your awareness. This is how you connect with the divinity which dwells within.


Some of the common reasons for doing things include to earn money, to win praise, to distract oneself, to be creative. Less common reasons include to be of service to others, to contribute to the beauty and grandeur of existence. Or simply to pass the time. But if as the scientist says every action has a reaction, the spiritualist replies that every deed also has a reason. 


As I observe myself going about my day I see that everything I do is for a purpose. I eat to nourish myself, brush myself to maintain white teeth and avoid cavities, wash my laundry in the interest of cleanliness, and because my dog vomited raw chicken on my sheets. I exercise because I enjoy it, and because afterwards I enjoy food all the more. I take sun for the vitamin D, and because I look good with a tan. I walk the dog because that makes him happy. Etc. I put myself in social situations at times to watch how I will behave in unfamiliar settings, and listen to the words that come out of my mouth when I'm around strangers. A subtler side of you is revealed in your interactions with others. But it is harder to determine the cause and purpose of thoughts. Every thought that arises has a source and a stimulation. Often it is something we see in the environment that reminds us of something else. Then up springs a thought and we call it inspiration and wonder whence it comes. If only we knew!


It is said that in the afterlife, we are judged not by our achievements but by our motives. It seems that while on earth, outcome is given precedence over intention. But at death it is the other way around! So in the hereafter the massively successful investment banker who has amassed a huge fortune effectively and often times legally swindling others is far inferior, in the soul sense, to the nearly homeless janitor who cleanses his soul with every toilet he scrubs. And if the investment banker cries, "I did not mean to take advantage of other people's trust, and when I told those gullible clients that I could make them a profit if they parted with their hard-earned cash on that 'once in a lifetime opportunity,' I truly believed my lie!" the answer that he will give himself when he dies is "Of course I knew what I was doing, I just wasn't aware of the fact at the time." 


But the unconscious sees all. And the more you expand your consciousness to include hidden motives, secret desires and private agendas, the more your actions and thoughts and words are purified, the more you become an instrument of the highest good, and at the very least you save yourself a ton of aggravation (and possibly reincarnation) when your time on earth is done.

How much less chaos there would be if more people first asked why they do what they do, and acted only after verifying that their motives were pure! There would be a lot more harmony, and fewer brands of cereals, that's for sure. The Sanskrit chant is "Om lokah samastah sukhino bhavantu." Translation: "“May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all.”

Peace be unto you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRAY MATTERS

I was watching the TV show Naked and Afraid last night as I sometimes do. The show teams together two strangers, a man and a woman, who attempt to survive on their own for a period of 21 days in some remote and isolated region. Some of the locales featured include the Australian Outback, the Amazonian rainforest and the African Savanna. The man may have a military background, or be an adventurist or deep sea fisherman. Sometimes he's an ordinary dude who lives with mom. The woman is a park ranger or extreme fitness enthusiast or "just a mom" herself. Sometimes the couple quarrel, sometimes one or both "tap out" (quit) in a fit of anger or illness. It is satisfying to see them actually make it through the challenge and reach their extraction point. The victors are usually exhausted, emaciated, begrimed and bare ass naked. 

Even more satisfying, at least for me, is the occasional ass shot, snuck in at strategic intervals to boost viewership, of course. It's co…

EVERYTHING'S INTENTIONAL

There is no such thing as screw-ups.

Case in point. My excellent friend Deej comes over to help me beautify the garden. He immediately dives in, crouching down on his knees and weed whacking with his bare hands. Before I can say yay or nay, he proceeds to remove a huge clump of daisy greens from the oblong patch of Earth adjacent to the driveway. The area instantly looks bare. Like the back of Woody Allen's head. Smoothing out the soil and shaking his head Deej mutters to himself "I fucked it up!" over and over again. We try everything. Planting succulents in the daisy's place. Covering it with rocks. But still the area looks barren. And every time you water it the water trickles down onto the sidewalk in the absence of roots to hold it in place. It's getting dark so we go back inside. The next day I return to the spot with a clear perspective and remove all the other daisies, leaving only rose bushes and the succulents that DJ planted, and depositing 10 bags of m…

SOUL CYCLE

This is not a commentary on the latest fitness fad. Because if it were, the little I'd have to say on the subject would be largely derogatory. I simply cannot see see how crouching in a stuffy, dark, cramped room surrounded by sweat-drenched strangers while expending a lot of energy and going nowhere deserves to be called fun, though aficionados tell me it is (fun). I tell these aficionados that if no pain no gain is your thing, discomfort can be had for a lot cheaper than $50 an hour. Try plucking your nose hairs. What we don't do for the sake of beauty. This endurance heir to the Stairmaster and elliptical is all hype. There's a name for the type who likes to run (or otherwise move) in place. It's called a hamster. 

This reminds me of a joke my father likes to tell, about what living with a woman turns a guy into. You go from a wolf to a sheep to a hamster. After nearly 40 years of married life, my dad has added cockroach to the zoological lineage. Which I'm sure …