Skip to main content

SOLITARY BROTHERS

For a brief time in my late twenties I worked as a high school teacher. Well, more as a supervisor of high school-aged kids. 

The program was called AEWC for Alternative Education and Work Center and it catered to students who for one reason or another (work, pregnancy, poor grades, trouble with the law) were not suited for the traditional attendance-based classes offered by the standard curriculum. AEWC evolved as an independent study program "to provide high school dropouts with an alternative way to earn a high school diploma."

These "at-risk youths" would come to my classroom and check out their work for the week, around twenty assignments usually culled from two subjects, which they then could complete in class or take home and turn in by the week's end. 

I once remarked to a colleague that such a program, performance-driven rather than attendance-based, was an excellent idea and I wished I had had the opportunity to be my student when I was a teen. Especially during the second half of my senior year, when the novelty of being a senior had faded and senioritis set in, school having become by my birthday in February a sort of glorified babysitting which left me itching to graduate but forced to go to class or fail. 

But most of the at-risk youths under my supervision were really the least qualified of all students to make advantageous use of independent study. They were the very ones, with learning disabilities, short attention spans and general disgruntled waywardness typical of teenagers but more pronounced in certain populations, who required more supervision, not less, more structure rather than the free-form approach. Indeed many even needed the one-on-one care that you only receive with a tutor. 

Instead they got me and my coworker Gerry. The two of us had a total of fifty or more students in class in a given week, and many more were enrolled who didn't regularly show up. We sent these kids off with their assignments and come Friday we each had a tall pile of papers we were supposed to grade. Without enough time to give each assignment the attention it deserved, we had little choice but to give credit for incomplete or flat-out incorrect assignments. Funding for the program was by enrollment, and keeping these kids enrolled meant making sure they completed their work on time. And I don't think a teacher should ever have home work. 

The message we were sending these kids was that all that is required of life is that you show up. Which may be of value in this world, because it is true most of the time. No less than the great thinker and comedian Woody Allen is purported to have said that eighty percent of success lies in simply showing up. Or in this case turning in shoddy work. What the program really needed were students with initiative, self-starters. Gifted kids, not slackers, hoodlums, and pot-heads (and there were many of these; they'd come back after eating lunch at the corner Jack in the Box smelling to high heaven of reefer). But the students most equipped to benefit from a course of self-study generally remain in high school where they enroll in honors and AP courses, with or without skipping a grade or two. There's also home school, I guess.

I was thinking of these kids, of programs with good intentions that target those least equipped to benefit when I read an article on solitary confinement in this month's GQ Magazine. These solitary brothers (I'm not sexist, but 99 percent of those in solitary are male) spend 22 to 24 hours a day alone. Either in Supermax, a "high-tech dungeon specifically designed to warehouse men in isolation," or in seg, an isolation cell in a max-security prison. 

Solitary cuts off the individual from society, indeed from virtually all other human beings other than the guards, who can be cruel. Solitary deposits one in a cell smaller than a parking place without a window and with only the drone of the fluorescent light overhead, which never goes out. And perhaps with a rodent or two in search of crumbs. Inmates are given barely enough food to keep them alive and subjected to the abuses of guards and rants and wailings of the inmates in adjacent cells. 

The program is designed to provide prisoners with alone time to reflect on their misdeeds - which range from heinous crimes to mere insubordination - in the hope that guilt or remorse will help them see the error of their ways and that they'll return to the prison population and later to the general population reformed and rehabilitated. But what too often results is the opposite. Many men go crazy, if they don't start out that way. Some smear themselves with feces, a few bang their head against toilets or even hang themselves. Those who do survive their stint of enforced solitude, which for some can last several decades, often re-enter society maladjusted and with PTSD. 

And then I think of some of the sages who have voluntarily entered the forest or a cave to "meditate on the Self." Ramana Maharshi left home in his early teens, journeyed to the foot of a sacred mountain where he found a temple dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva, and cloistered himself in a remote part of the temple where he sat cross-legged like a stone for not hours or days but entire freakin' years. In this time vermin feasted on his flesh, he developed pressure sores from sitting on the cold concrete, local children would tease him and toss things at him. He neglected his body to such a degree that the temple caretakers eventually had to stuff food in his mouth to keep his body alive. All the while he was "immersed in the bliss of the divine." And he emerged a holy personage. 

In a perfect world this is how the solitary inmate would fare. Instead they leave confinement more of a danger to themselves and others than they were when they entered. I suppose the difference lies in choice. 

I spend most of my hours alone. Some weeks six out of seven days do not involve any interaction with others. And on the seventh day, usually Sunday, a short visit to the market and a few pleasantries exchanged with the cashier comprise my week's worth of social intercourse. And I relish my time alone. Sure I could fill my days with engagements and pursuits, clutter the airwaves with gossip and idle chatter, but instead I commune with myself. Sometimes I talk to myself, other times I write or read. There is exercising and gardening to be done, and caring for my dog. The hours get occupied, and still there is much time for meditation and reflection. This is all worthwhile, partly because it is by choice, and partly because my house is larger than a prison cell, and I don't have nasty fellow inmates and nastier guards with whom to contend. But mostly because I choose time alone. Like a Taoist recluse. Like our Maharshi.

Maharshi elected to experience seclusion. What he could not tolerate was the life of a student, made to do lessons he found to be drudgery, interacting with peers he could not relate to. And so he imposed a solitary confinement of his own. While the wrongdoer is compelled to go it alone, without a guide, as a form of punishment, and consequently feels cut-off.

Now if the inmate were given regular counselling while in solitary, analogous to the one-on-one tutoring that my at-risk kids needed but never got, maybe he'd emerge from his time alone a sage rather than an entrenched sinner. In a perfect world, perhaps. This is me still holding out for utopia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GRAY MATTERS

I was watching the TV show Naked and Afraid last night as I sometimes do. The show teams together two strangers, a man and a woman, who attempt to survive on their own for a period of 21 days in some remote and isolated region. Some of the locales featured include the Australian Outback, the Amazonian rainforest and the African Savanna. The man may have a military background, or be an adventurist or deep sea fisherman. Sometimes he's an ordinary dude who lives with mom. The woman is a park ranger or extreme fitness enthusiast or "just a mom" herself. Sometimes the couple quarrel, sometimes one or both "tap out" (quit) in a fit of anger or illness. It is satisfying to see them actually make it through the challenge and reach their extraction point. The victors are usually exhausted, emaciated, begrimed and bare ass naked. 

Even more satisfying, at least for me, is the occasional ass shot, snuck in at strategic intervals to boost viewership, of course. It's co…

EVERYTHING'S INTENTIONAL

There is no such thing as screw-ups.

Case in point. My excellent friend Deej comes over to help me beautify the garden. He immediately dives in, crouching down on his knees and weed whacking with his bare hands. Before I can say yay or nay, he proceeds to remove a huge clump of daisy greens from the oblong patch of Earth adjacent to the driveway. The area instantly looks bare. Like the back of Woody Allen's head. Smoothing out the soil and shaking his head Deej mutters to himself "I fucked it up!" over and over again. We try everything. Planting succulents in the daisy's place. Covering it with rocks. But still the area looks barren. And every time you water it the water trickles down onto the sidewalk in the absence of roots to hold it in place. It's getting dark so we go back inside. The next day I return to the spot with a clear perspective and remove all the other daisies, leaving only rose bushes and the succulents that DJ planted, and depositing 10 bags of m…

SOUL CYCLE

This is not a commentary on the latest fitness fad. Because if it were, the little I'd have to say on the subject would be largely derogatory. I simply cannot see see how crouching in a stuffy, dark, cramped room surrounded by sweat-drenched strangers while expending a lot of energy and going nowhere deserves to be called fun, though aficionados tell me it is (fun). I tell these aficionados that if no pain no gain is your thing, discomfort can be had for a lot cheaper than $50 an hour. Try plucking your nose hairs. What we don't do for the sake of beauty. This endurance heir to the Stairmaster and elliptical is all hype. There's a name for the type who likes to run (or otherwise move) in place. It's called a hamster. 

This reminds me of a joke my father likes to tell, about what living with a woman turns a guy into. You go from a wolf to a sheep to a hamster. After nearly 40 years of married life, my dad has added cockroach to the zoological lineage. Which I'm sure …