Take it or leave it.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

STAY OR GO?

All of life's decisions, whether major or minor, and for that matter each of life's precious moments, involve the simple question, which you ask yourself time and again, every second of every day of your life. It is this: Should I stay or should I go? Just like the song by The Clash.


And it's true - at one level. Think about it. The alarm goes off at 7. Should I stay asleep an extra 10 minutes or get up out of bed and go about my day. Should I luxuriate in the shower for a total of 3 minutes or 5? (I urge you to remember it's a drought we're in!) And days are built on these seemingly insignificant choices, which aren't so insignificant if you snooze so long you wind up late for wherever it is you're supposed to be.

But this simple question applies to all of life's major choices as well. Should I remain in this relationship or should we break up? Should I remain at home or get my own place? Do I like my job or should I find another? Pursue a graduate degree or content myself with a high school degree or college diploma or GED? Have a kid or be a spinster? Quit or keep on? I've run road races, particularly marathons, particularly in hot weather, where each mile, and sometimes every step, I ask myself, Should I stay in this piece of sh*& or bow the hell out? I always finish running. But I've run from other commitments, as in love and work.

Should you keep reading this post or move onto something else? Keep living life or end it all now? I certainly hope you opt for the former.

Should I stay or should I go? Life is built on that. At one level. That of the lower self. The ego-based personality who grows up grows old and dies and in between is a product of choices and their consequences lives and dies by whether to quit or keep on. But there is an even bigger choice you make, and with equal frequency (read: every waking moment of every day): a choice whose ramifications are far more far-reaching and final. What's more far-reaching and final than death? Going beyond.

The decision is whether to act from the higher Self, or from the lower. The lower you is a product of genetics and upbringing, sees yourself as separate from others and tries to get ahead; the lower you is reactive and self-serving. Even acts of generosity and altruism are often done with some mind to ulterior motives. For instance: If I donate enough to my former high school will they name their football field after me? The problems in the world are the result of this tendency, all-too-common, to act from the lower self. And why not? If I don't look out for me, who will? But who are you really? The real you is beyond pleasure and pain. And yes, beyond death. Because You are beyond time.

This higher Self or true You, consciousness Itself, ever the Witness, is with you everywhere you go, like a guiding light, shining on all you think, feel, say and do. When you come from this Self, whose nature is Love, who sees through apparent differences and duality to the underlying Oneness, your actions are purified, sanctified and true.

The true You never reacts. The true You is power, is bliss, is tranquility. While the lower you is like a rollicking wave skimming across the surface of life, the real You is the fathomless deep blue sea from whose still depths all springs. Each moment, whether consciously or not - but usually consciously, since the Self is pure blissful consciousness - you decide whether to act from the ego-based personality, this "mini-me" which vacillates between knowledge and ignorance and always reacts, or come from the fullness of the Higher Self, the "I AM" of the scriptures, which comes from eternal wisdom and always acts in accordance with its nature which is Truth.

Ask yourself every second of every day: Do I operate from the false or from the True?

Be True to this Self, abide in its fullness and bliss, and the world around you will reflect the wisdom of your life's message and work.

You ask, How does one who operates always from the Higher Self, always comes from Love, behave in the world of today? British Nobel Laureate Rudyard Kipling provides the answer in his poem "If--" (1895) which is said to be the essence of the Bhagavad Gita, itself the essence of the Hindu scriptures. Thus we have here the essence of the essence, or the quintessence.
 
IF--
If you can keep your head when all about you
  Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
  But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
  Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
  And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
  If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
  And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
  Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
  And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
  And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
  And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
  To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
  Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
  Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
  If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
  With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
  And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son.

Now don't just STAY there, GO ponder this!

No comments:

Post a Comment