Skip to main content

TALK TO YOU

I see these people in the market all the time. You probably have too. As they walk down the aisle, shoveling sundry items in their cart, they're carrying on an animated conversation seemingly with themselves! At closer inspection you can see the earpiece and realize that these customers are not insane like those crazies on the street corner. They are not talking to themselves. They are merely on the phone. Because only crazy people shout like that when nobody in particular is listening, right? Well, sort of.

In The Voice of Reason, author Pamela Weintraub discusses self-talk. Everyone does it, she says. But most of us do it silently, in the form of thoughts about ourselves, and many don't even know this inner talk, which Austin Powers so aptly called the "inner monologue," is even going on. It seems we are all crazies on the corner.


I started talking to myself in a voice loud enough to hear when I was 10 years old. I had changed schools and hadn't yet made any new friends, and my mom was busy with my two younger brothers, so who was there to hear about my day but me?

And so after school I'd go into the back yard, or if it was during recess to a secluded part of the school parking lot, and carry on a conversation in which I addressed myself as "you." I quickly found that I was a good listener who gave great advice. Being your own interlocutor has its perks.

And I still talk to myself. It is a form of self-soothing. I guess I'm my own best friend. I hadn't thought much about my outer (because it's out loud) dialogue (because it's me talking to me as "you") until reading the Weintraub piece. Her argument is that self-talk is pervasive and important. "Inner talk," she writes, "is one of the most effective, least-utilized tools available to master the psyche and foster life success."

But how you do it is what matters. If your inner talk follows certain parameters, it can free you from your fears and make you as wise about yourself as you often are about others. The guidelines she offers follow here:

1. Distance yourself by addressing yourself by name, so as to see yourself as you would a friend in need of advice. This distance confers wisdom, calm and confidence you'd not likely have if immersed in the situation as I or me.

2. Give yourself direction, and be precise. Like the child who engages in building blocks and talks herself through the next step, instruct yourself on how to think or feel. "Be calm," you can say. That's good advice in any situation.

3. Offer yourself a few self-affirmations. You are intelligent, accomplished and beautiful. Say it aloud. It feels good to hear, doesn't it?

Just don't go talking to yourself at the market unless you have an earpiece on as a decoy. Others might think you're crazy! But aren't we all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SOUL CYCLE

This is not a commentary on the latest fitness fad. Because if it were, the little I'd have to say on the subject would be largely derogatory. I simply cannot see see how crouching in a stuffy, dark, cramped room surrounded by sweat-drenched strangers while expending a lot of energy and going nowhere deserves to be called fun, though aficionados tell me it is (fun). I tell these aficionados that if no pain no gain is your thing, discomfort can be had for a lot cheaper than $50 an hour. Try plucking your nose hairs. What we don't do for the sake of beauty. This endurance heir to the Stairmaster and elliptical is all hype. There's a name for the type who likes to run (or otherwise move) in place. It's called a hamster. 

This reminds me of a joke my father likes to tell, about what living with a woman turns a guy into. You go from a wolf to a sheep to a hamster. After nearly 40 years of married life, my dad has added cockroach to the zoological lineage. Which I'm sure …

EVERYTHING'S INTENTIONAL

There is no such thing as screw-ups.

Case in point. My excellent friend Deej comes over to help me beautify the garden. He immediately dives in, crouching down on his knees and weed whacking with his bare hands. Before I can say yay or nay, he proceeds to remove a huge clump of daisy greens from the oblong patch of Earth adjacent to the driveway. The area instantly looks bare. Like the back of Woody Allen's head. Smoothing out the soil and shaking his head Deej mutters to himself "I fucked it up!" over and over again. We try everything. Planting succulents in the daisy's place. Covering it with rocks. But still the area looks barren. And every time you water it the water trickles down onto the sidewalk in the absence of roots to hold it in place. It's getting dark so we go back inside. The next day I return to the spot with a clear perspective and remove all the other daisies, leaving only rose bushes and the succulents that DJ planted, and depositing 10 bags of m…

GRAY MATTERS

I was watching the TV show Naked and Afraid last night as I sometimes do. The show teams together two strangers, a man and a woman, who attempt to survive on their own for a period of 21 days in some remote and isolated region. Some of the locales featured include the Australian Outback, the Amazonian rainforest and the African Savanna. The man may have a military background, or be an adventurist or deep sea fisherman. Sometimes he's an ordinary dude who lives with mom. The woman is a park ranger or extreme fitness enthusiast or "just a mom" herself. Sometimes the couple quarrel, sometimes one or both "tap out" (quit) in a fit of anger or illness. It is satisfying to see them actually make it through the challenge and reach their extraction point. The victors are usually exhausted, emaciated, begrimed and bare ass naked. 

Even more satisfying, at least for me, is the occasional ass shot, snuck in at strategic intervals to boost viewership, of course. It's co…