Take it or leave it.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

THE LIVING MIRACLE

Albert Einstein once said: "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”

The other day I was sitting outside with a friend and we were talking about miracles. Ask for a miracle and it will happen, was her contention. My reply was to say life was a miracle, and I'd just as well ask for my awareness to expand so I could see the living miracles all around me. Like wood and madera (which means wood in Spanish), two ways of saying the same thing.

Saying you don't believe in miracles is like the person who goes outside at noon, looks up at the sky, and says, "I see no stars, therefore I do not believe in them." What the person needs is the right perspective, and timing is important. If that same person were to go outside a few hours later, when the sun had set and the firmament were lit up like a fireworks parade, then the presence of stars, each a shining miracle, would be proved.

And so I said to my friend, "I wish for a bird to come and perch on that tree over yonder." She thought my wish a bit too specific (or mundane) and we forgot about it and continued our conversations. When it was time to go back inside, as we were descending the steps that led back to the garden, I chanced to look up and see the black crow that I had asked for fly overhead. As it passed over the tree, it looked down at us and squawked. My friend smiled at me. My wish come true. Now you certainly could argue that crows fly overhead all the time, as they do in the back yard, and it was simply a case of happenstance timing, but why kill it?

At least the crow didn't choose that moment to let fall a wad of bird poop to go splat on my head (as had happened in the past, but not likely with the crow in question).

Life is a miracle happening everywhere, inside and out. The universe, as phantasmagoric as a dream, is a reflection of your consciousness. It is like looking in a mirror, everywhere you turn. All is Self. So how to feel anything other than extreme joy, perhaps even awe, at everything around you?

Just be careful what you wish for, since you just might get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment