Take it or leave it.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

HIGH PROTEIN DIET TO BLAME FOR WRESTLER'S ILLNESS


If you follow sports you have probably heard of Brock Lesnar, a behemoth of a man (6'3'', 290 lbs) who has dominated everything from world wrestling to pro football to mixed martial arts and I'm sure will some day make it to the big screen, maybe in Expendables 13.

Lesnar has pounded into submission many a meaty man, but an intestinal disease recently left him begging for mercy. Diverticulitis is the name of the condition characterized by outpouching of the colon. These pouches can get inflamed and infected and as in the case of Lesnar lead to abscess formation, which causes high fever, weight loss, unbearable pain and is a surgical emergency. Lesnar lost some 40 pounds during his convalescence. The culprit? In Lesnar's words:

“What got me here was a total protein diet, not enough fiber, and that’s where I was,” Lesnar said.
“I’m a carnivore. I’m not a big fan of PETA. I’m a member of the NRA, and whatever I kill, I eat. Basically, I was just for years surviving on meat and potatoes. When the greens came by, I just kept passing them.”

You see, the human colon is nearly five feet in length and requires a heavy dose of fiber to help move contents through. Without enough ruffage (and meat has no fiber) the GI tract is forced to work overtime, contracting and contracting to push stool through to the anus, which causes it to become weak and the pouches to form and become inflamed, etc.

A note to carnivores and omnivores around the world. If you are abiding by a meat-heavy diet, it may lead to short-term weight-loss or muscle gains, but as in the case of Mr. Lesnar, you could be courting diseases not the least of which are intestinal. Other maladies associated with such a dietstyle include cancer and heart disease, the nation's biggest killers. So what did Lesnar do?

“I totally changed my diet, got on some natural healing medicine, and was just doing a lot of praying. I had a lot of people praying for me."

And so should you. If you're not into prayer, trust in plants. Go Paradigm.

No comments:

Post a Comment