Take it or leave it.

Saturday, July 12, 2014

BODYBUILDER'S DIET

 

Bodybuilders have some of the most muscular bodies in sports, with slabs of muscle for arms, shoulders and thighs, washboards for stomachs, narrow waists, tight glutes, and heart-shaped calves. Of course they spend a great deal of time sculpting their granite frames in the gym, mostly with heavy sets of barbell and dumbbell movements but also with some machines and cardio thrown in. But what serious muscle heads are most known for is their clean and simple diet. Clean in that it involves few added ingredients and fats. Simple in that the typical meal includes only three ingredients - protein, starch, and green vegetable.

And this is the trick to their shredded physiques. Sure, many cycle steroids into the mix, but without a clean diet consisting of meals shaped by protein source, starch source, and green vegetable, all the hormones in the world won't cut you up.

And while the bodybuilder's fare of choice includes copious quantities of flesh foods and staple grains like rice, there is a grain-free vegan variety we'd like to share. Simply substitute out the animal protein and sub in beans, which are high in protein. Chickpeas, blacks, pintos, kidneys, lentils or other, choose your fav. And instead of the staple rice, include either potato (sweet, white, or red) or quinoa. The green vegetable can be anything from broccoli to spinach, kale, chard, asparagus, green beans, Brussels sprouts, or other.

Together these three ingredients - bean, green, and tuber or seed - round off your feast. Eat this meal at least once per day, for lunch or for dinner. Because animal protein, even lean cuts, is often high in fat, include some avocado with your greens for some flavorful fat. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Adam, you helped my wife a year or two ago dial in her diet (Moca McCarty). I have been falling the Eat To Live plan after an initial start to veganism following a modified fruitarian (basically Raw Till 4) diet. I consider all of this a success as I've been 100% vegan for almost 5 years now while training hard for ultrarunning. Recently I was considering more of a McDougall style plan when I came across your book that Moca and I ordered - basically - it's perfect and seems to seamlessly blend the best of all dietary habits in a simple package. I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes me now and really want to thank you for your effort in putting this message out there. I'm turning 50 this year and feel my best years of ultrarunning are still ahead! (I'm going on my third year of running an ultra a month) I do have a few questions and would be happy to pay for your consultation. My email is Mccarty65@verizon.net if you have a few moments to spare. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and love your blog! A wonderful blend of spiritual insight, training and diet!

    ReplyDelete