Here is a simple progression to improve your diet, whether you need a complete overhaul or merely some fine-tuning. Print this and paste on your fridge for easy reference.
1. Eat fruit till noon. As much or as little as you wish, but only fruit.
Example: Morning Smoothie
Blend one orange, add two fresh bananas and blend till smooth. Then, add one frozen banana and one cup of your choice of frozen berries (strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry).
2. Eat a salad for lunch.
Chop one head of kale, add to this one medium diced tomato, 1/2 avocado, the juice of one lemon, and 1 tbsp Bragg's amino acids. Mix thoroughly. Top with fresh fruit. For example, one cup strawberries, 4 medjool dates, and 1 apple.
Note: Kale may be substituted with Romaine lettuce or baby spinach. Also, 1 cup of canned beans of your choice (kidney, white, garbanzo, black) may be substituted for the fruit. Be sure to rinse and strain before consuming.
3. Start dinner with 3 of your favorite crunchy vegetables.
Favorites are cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots, and mushrooms. Dice one cup of mushrooms and plate with 1 diced red bell pepper. Season with ground herbs. Nutritional yeast provides additional flavor. Mustard may also be used. Diced olives add savor, but be sparing (5 olives per day, with 1/2 avocado, meets your fat requirements).
4. Have 100 calories of your favorite green for dinner.
Choose kale, collards, chard, or spinach. If you ate kale or spinach for lunch, boil 3 cups of Swiss chard for dinner; alternatively steam collards for 5-7 minutes. Other tasty greens include asparagus, green beans, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts for the adventuresome. Season your greens with soy sauce, nutritional yeast, a few diced olives, sund-dried tomatoes, lemon, mustard, and/or tabasco sauce.
5. Replace what you normall eat for dinner with beans and a healthy starch, notably potatoes or squash.
Steam a sweet potato for 5-7 minutes, blend it in a vitamix or equivalent until smooth. It hardly needs to be seasoned. Alternatively, use quinoa, but limit yourself to 1 cup cooked.
6. Watch the weight melt away.
* Stay on each step for one week to one month before going to the next step, depending on how in need you are of a dietary upgrade.
* A piece of fresh fruit may be enjoyed for dessert.
* If you enjoy coffee, limit yourself to 2 cups daily (10 ounces), enjoy black with a dash of stevia, and drink before 10 a.m.
* Wine/beer may be enjoyed in moderation (1 glass per day for women, 2 for men).
Here is the nutritional breakdown for the above meals:
Breakfast: banana/berry smoothie
Lunch: Avocado salad with fruit or beans
Dinner: Raw veggies followed by lightly cooked greens, with 1 cup beans and 1 sweet potato
Dessert: fresh or frozen fruit (optional)
Take note that this meal provides 2 liters of water and nearly 80 grams of fiber, in addition to all major nutrients (except vitamin D, which you should be getting from the sun). At under 1,800 calories. Enjoy!
Chard, swiss, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt
Sweet potato, raw, unprepared
Olives, ripe, canned
Mushrooms, brown, Italian, or Crimini, raw
Pepper, sweet, red, raw